Have Faith. Have Hope. Live Like His Son. Help Others On Their Way. Be Consistent. Please, No Empty Chairs.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wednesday August 17, 2011

SCRIPTURE OF THE WEEK: Doctrine and Covenants 18:10

Dear Family and Friends,

What a trip this has been! Last Thursday and Friday we volunteered in the emergency room of Hospital Carlos Andrade Marin. Holy cow. We were there for 11 hours straight on Thursday and 16 on Friday. We were EXHAUSTED by the end of it. I didn't think some of the injuries I saw were even possible! At first I was honestly really dizzy to see it all, but just like when I was in the hospitals in Guatemala and taking anatomy at BYU, I got used to it. We got to help out a lot and learned so much. Matt stuck his first couple needles and did several EKG's. We saw a couple plastic surgeries of finger amputations, helped with lots of broken bones and stitches, cared for patients' needs, sewed someone's scalp back on, etc. The list goes on and on. We even helped rush people to other hospitals in the ambulance! So crazy! The first elderly lady we rushed to Mercedes Hospital. She was near dying, and let's just say I was so scared while we were going there: A. Because the driving was crazy and I was in the back trying to hold onto her and B. I was extremely hot and thought I was going to throw up or pass out. And C. I didn't want her to stop breathing! Needless to say, there were some intense moments during those two days, but Matt and I learned so much.

At the end of our hours there, I felt like we should go up to the maternity section of the hospital. We arrived just in time to see a cute little black baby girl be born by C-section. The baby was so precious! I got tears in my eyes and loved her from the very moment I saw her. She was a chub and immediately opened her eyes and was looking around. She looks just like Brynn as a baby! It was so cool to be there. I can't wait till Matt and I adopt!

On Saturday we went to La Mitad del Mundo where the Ecuator is!!! It was so awesome! It was one of the coolest things I have EVER done. We had this amazing tour where we saw how the centrifugal forces are different in the northern and southern hemispheres, as compared to right on the Ecuator. It was fascinating! Matt and his scientific nerdy mind couldn't stop thinking about it. We kept talking all about it on our bus ride back. We are excited to show you the video and tell you more.

Later that day, we flew to Guayaquil, rented a car, and drove around town and saw the temple, then found a hostal for only 9 dollars! Score! Beat that good deal, Dad! :)

The next day we woke up and drove to Salinas (about 1.5 hours away) where we went to church. That was Matt's second to last area on the mission. It is right on the cost. We visited so many of the people he taught.

Monday we also visited another family in Salinas that Matt contacted and they were later baptized. They are strong in the church and the oldest girl has her heart set on a mission in a couple years. They made us a "ceviche mixto" which is with shrimp, fish, squid, and octopus. We didn't get sick Mary! (We also ate just shrimp ceviche today from Matt's mamita, and it was AMAZING!) We also went with this family on Monday to the Chocalatera, which is the furthest tip of land on the Ecuador coast. It was so beautiful. We even saw a whale jump!

Monday late afternoon we began the pretty drive on the "Ruta del Sol." We stopped in Montanita to get a hostal right on the beach. So much fun! And Tuesday we spent the day just the two of us driving the rest of the way on the Ruta del Sol and walking on the beach.

Today we spent the day visiting Matt's friends here in Manta. Manta was Matt's last area, and it is also on the coast. Pablo was especially fun to see. He is doing really well. He will soon be 18 and is preparing for a mission, despite no support from family. His sister is a less-active member and his mom is not even a member. He actually reminded me a lot of Guya because he plays the guitar and is a really friendly and fun kid. He has even helped one of his buddies be baptized and isn't afraid to talk to others about the church.

MIRACLE OF THE WEEK: It is so neat for me to meet all these people that Matt loves. Just seeing where he served and coming to know all of these people, makes me understand my sweet husband even better and makes me love him even more. I feel so blessed that we have had the opportunity this summer to go to Spain and Ecuador. These are experiences that Matt and I will treasure forever. They are adventures that will always bind us closer.

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: Who in your life could you help bring closer to God?
Have Faith. Have Hope. Live Like His Son. Help Others On Their Way.
Be Consistent. Please, No Empty Chairs.
Love,
Jac

No comments:

Post a Comment