Have Faith. Have Hope. Live Like His Son. Help Others On Their Way. Be Consistent. Please, No Empty Chairs.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

December 22, 2010

SCRIPTURE OF THE WEEK:

I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance. - 1 Nephi 1:20

MIRACLE OF THE WEEK:

Happy Wednesday! I am so glad another Wednesday has come and gone--only two more to go before wedding stuff is all over! Woohoo! I am so excited to just start life with Jaclyn. It is very exciting for me to wonder how life will be after we get married (no more spotlight, no more wedding stress, no more driving back and forth from each others' houses, and the list could go on). Anyway, Jaclyn and I are super excited to see all our family and friends on our wedding day to celebrate our eternal marriage!

The scripture of the week for me is the last verse in the opening chapter of the Book of Mormon. I've been thinking about the significance of this scripture and how it sets up one of the purposes of the Book of Mormon--according to father Nephi.

Today I had the opportunity to go get my right knee examined. About a month ago, I injured it playing basketball and thought that it would heal, so I didn't go get it looked at. Because of some changes to my families health care coverage, I needed to get any medical treatment before the end of the year, because the new plan would make us pay a lot more out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. on surgeries). I thought that any Doctor would be backed up into January, but yesterday I contacted my bishop, an orthopedic doc, to see if he could squeeze me into his busy schedule for today (today was his last day of seeing patients). He could (tender mercy #1)! So I went to get examined and he wanted to get an MRI of my knee to help us know if surgery is required. Knowing it was his last day in the office, I rushed down to the MRI place to be able to make it back to Dr. Murray's to get a follow-up visit. When I got there, I learned that I likely wouldn't be able to get scanned today because my insurance needed a pre-authorization on the MRI orders. I went upstairs again to Dr. Murray's office and tried to get them to help out with the preauthorization, but no such luck.

At this point, I was thinking that, if I needed surgery, I would have to pay for it all out of pocket because it would get done after the new year. Yikes that is a lot of money. When I got a chance, I said a quick prayer asking for help to get this problem with my knee resolved before the new year, and also before Jac and I get married. After a couple of minutes I got a call from Dr. Murray's MA who told me to come back to get an order that would allow me to get an MRI with pre-authorization (tender mercy #2)! It turns out that they got Dr. Edwards, whose patients don't need pre-authorization, to sign my MRI order, so I was able to do that the same day. What's more is that Dr. Murray had time to do a follow up visit the same day after my MRI (tender mercy #3)! And finally, if needed Dr. Murray was willing to fit me in his already packed schedule to do surgery before the end of the year (tender mercy #4)!

Now, it turns out that I don't need surgery, and that all I have is some bad bruising. Phew! But still, I had to figure out whether or not I needed surgery. Even though it appeared to be very hopeless for a second, the Lord saw fit to bless me with a tender mercy. I don't know why it came to me. I just know that He cares about our day-to-day challenges. I am so grateful for my knowledge of Lord and the tender mercies that he gives us every day (none of us have to look very far to see the goodness of God in our lives.

I think there was a purpose that Nephi had in writing the phrase I have written at the top. I believe that Nephi had an enlightened vision of the Book of Mormon and the use that it would have in building God's kingdom in the latter days. So often we forget the Lord's hand in our lives, and Nephi knew that we would. So, he introduces the rest of the Book of Mormon with the words, "I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen..." as if to say that which I am about to write will show you the Lord's tender mercies are everywhere.

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: How has the Lord blessed you today?

PS "Count your many blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

Have Faith. Have Hope. Live Like His Son. Help Others On Their Way.
Be Consistent. Please, No Empty Chairs.
Love,
Matt

1 comment:

  1. Tender mercies are my favorite! And the reality is that these mercies come to all of us, but only sometimes do we recognize them for what they are. Thanks for reminding me to acknowledge the Lord's hand in the details of my life, Bro.

    I'm so excited for you to kneel across the altar from the greatest tender mercy of your life! :) At least that is what I consider my hubby to be for me.

    ReplyDelete